Wednesday, January 23, 2013

DIY Egg Mask

On my request post from last week (you can find it here, I really do want your input on this post ladies!!!) one of my lovely readers requested I do a DIY egg mask. And being that I love my regular readers, I decided to oblige.
Egg masks are great for people who have large easily clogged pores and normal to oily skin. I do have rather large pores that do end up clogged more often than not. However I also have very dry skin, especially in the winter months. So this mask isn't really the best fit for my skin type. I do plan on doing another DIY mask in the near future for those of us with dry skin, probably a honey mask. But moving on...
Okay, for this mask you only need an egg, 2 bowls, and a fork/whisk. Oh, and a clean face.
Not a great skin day for me. :(
Make sure your face is thoroughly cleansed, you don't want any makeup getting trapped under the mask!
Next you're going to want to separate the egg whites from the yolk. To do this, just carefully crack the egg and when you're opening the shell make sure the entire yolk is in one half and let the white run down into one of your bowls. Then transfer the yolk to the other half of the egg shell letting the remaining whites run into the bowl. Keep doing this until all the egg whites are in the first bowl and then put the yolk into the second bowl.
Now take your fork/whisk and beat the egg whites until they're really frothy. You want to see a lot of bubbles in these egg whites!
Now take the foamy bubbles in the egg whites and apply them generously all over your face avoiding the eyes.
If I look miserable, it's because there's egg all over my face.. And yes, having egg on my face does gross me out a little, haha. Anywho, you want to leave the egg whites on your face until they're dry and hardened. You'll know it's done setting when you can't smile anymore.
Now rinse!
For the next step, you're going to start by breaking open your egg yolk.
Now take the runny inside of the yolk and apply it all over your face, again avoiding the eye area. And for those who may be wondering, the yolk has some natural moisturizers that leave your skin quite supple.
And again, you're going to want to wait for the egg to dry, use the smile test if you're unsure as to whether or not it's dry. And after the yolk is dry, rinse it off. You'll probably need a washcloth to get all the egg off.
And now you're done!!! While this isn't the best mask for my skin type, it still does improve the overall look of my skin. And as for it's deep cleaning pore minimizing capabilities, the proof is in the pudding.
before
after
I decided to use a close up of my nose as it's where my pores are the most unfortunate. And while my pores aren't totally clear, it's significantly better. And being that a dozen eggs costs about $1.50, and you only use 1 egg for this mask, the cost comes to about 12 cents a mask. And those results are totally worth 12 cents!
Hope you liked my very first DIY mask, I enjoyed doing it! And being that this was so fun and so cost efficient, I plan on doing many more of these DIY masks. Yay healthy skin! Feel free to drop a comment below and let me know what you think, I love hearing feedback from you guys. Also, don't forget to subscribe or Like KalamityJane on Facebook! Til next time!







2 comments: