My dad recently gave us a deep fryer, and I needed to experiment with it. I love cooking and I've never really had a chance to play with a deep fryer, so I wanted to have some fun. I didn't have a lot to work with as most of the food stuffs I keep in the house are pretty healthy and don't really mesh well with a fryer. After pondering for a while on what I could deep fry, I decided to totally wing it and deep fry biscuits. And, well, it's awesome. So awesome that I thought I should share the recipe with you guys. :)
Deep Fried Biscuits
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tablespoon baking powder
a dash of salt
1/3 cup of margarine
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon each of rosemary, oregano and thyme
a handful of shredded sharp cheddar
(I eyeballed the spices and cheddar, so just do what looks good to you)
1. Combine flour, baking powder, spices and salt in a large mixing bowl; mix well.
2. With a pastry blender (or a fork if you're really careful) cut in the margarine and mix well. You want it to look kind of like breadcrumbs.
3. Mix in the milk all at once and stir til combined.
4. Fold in the cheese. Make sure the cheese is evenly distributed, you don't want some of the biscuits to have a ton of cheese while others have none.
5. Pinch off bits of the dough and roll them into little balls, you want them to be about 3/4 of an inch in diameter.
6. Once your deep fryer is hot, add the balls to the oil. Let them cook for 2-3 minutes or until floating and golden brown. Make sure that you stir your balls a couple times while you're cooking to keep them from sticking together.
7. When you remove the balls, set them on a platter (or in a bowl) lined with paper towel to absorb excess oil. Then wait a few minutes and dig in!!!
These should come out nice and crispy on the outside with a soft, fluffy biscuit center. And these are best when served warm, though they are still good at room temperature. Just not as good.
And do remember to be safe while deep frying!!! Don't overfill your fryer or anything; deep frying can be pretty dangerous if you aren't careful.
I hope you liked my random little recipe. Feel free to drop a comment below and let me know if you've ever done something like this before. And if you like what you see, don't forget to subscribe or like KalamityJane on Facebook. Til next time!!